The MCAT and a minimum of three years of college consisting of 90 semester hours of college work (exclusive of military and physical education) are required. The MCAT must be taken within three years preceding the application and no later than December of the year of application. Early submission and completion of the application is strongly encouraged. The following undergraduate courses are required:
- Biology or Zoology (with Laboratory): 2 semesters
- Inorganic or General Chemistry (with laboratory): 2 semesters
- Organic Chemistry (with laboratory): 1 semester
- Biochemistry: 1 semester [This may be replaced with a second semester of organic chemistry]
- Physics (with laboratory): 2 semesters
- College Mathematics: 2 semesters (One semester may be a statistics or biostatistics course. College Mathematics can include many types of mathematics, calculus or other courses.)
- *English: 2 semesters
**English requirement must include one semester of a college writing course. College approved "intensive writing courses" may substitute for English.
NOTE: NOTE: Other courses which are not required for admission but may be helpful include anatomy and physiology, cell and molecular biology, biostatistics and Spanish. We look for applicants to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and a total MCAT of at least 494 with a 124 in the biological sciences and no other subsection score less than 122.
As a condition for admission and matriculation, all accepted students will be required to authorize RWJMS to obtain a criminal background check. Students may also be required to obtain a background check themselves or authorize clinical training facilities to conduct this check, and to permit the results to be provided by the reporting agency to Rutgers and/or to clinical facilities.
The Admissions Committee reserves the right to waive or impose specific requirements at its discretion.