4th Year US Accredited Medical School Students Only
Beginning with the 2010-2011 Academic Year, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has been using VSAS,
the Visiting Student Application System, to receive visiting student applications. For the 2016-2017 Academic Year, applications may be submitted starting on May 11th, 2016. To apply, please complete the VSAS application process for your preferred electives & dates. For more information on our visiting student electives, please contact:
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Office of the Registrar
675 Hoes Lane, Room TC-111
Piscataway, New Jersey 08854-5635
RWJMS Elective Book
For more information on VSAS, please visit the VSAS Home Page or contact VSAS at Email address: email@example.com or Phone Number: (202) 478-9878.
4th Year Canadian and Non-International Accredited Medical School Students
(Foreign Medical School and Non-Medical School students are NOT eligible to apply for established)
(Clerkships & Electives. See below for more details about our Global Health Experience)
Please complete the following:
1. Application for Off-Site Elective Form
2. Visiting Student Immunization Form
3. Essential Functions Form
4. Provide a copy of a Background Check having been completed within one (1) year of the anticipated start date of the elective.
- Our background check is done through CastleBranch. Click on the link and you will be directed to their website. Once on the site, click on Place Order and enter RU35 as the package code.
- Please notify RWJMS that you are requesting a Background Check through our services by
completing the Criminal Background Check Notification Form and sending it with your application.
5. NOTE: Once an elective is offered and accepted, there is a non-refundable $75.00 processing fee due for each elective you have accepted. Please make the check payable to "Rutgers RWJMS" and send it to the address listed for the Contact Person. If payment is not received within 2 weeks from the date of acceptance, you will be withdrawn from the elective.
In addition to completing the tasks above, please note that RWJMS requires visiting students to have the following:
- Passing USMLE Step 1 score, or passing COMLEX-USA 1 score if you are an osteopathic medical school student
- Mask Fit Test
- BLS certification
- OSHA certification
- Medical liability/malpractice insurance
Please note: Pre-Clinical and 3rd Year students are not eligible to apply for enrollment
1. All forms must be received no later than eight weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
*Osteopathic Medical School Students may only apply 6 weeks prior to the start of the elective *
There is a one (1) week window to get all documentation received, reviewed & accepted, since all courses close 5 weeks (35 days) prior to the start of the Elective.
Acceptance into an elective is based upon receipt of the properly completed application forms. If you wish to apply for more than one elective, please use one application form per elective. You do not need to fill out duplicates of the other forms. Use RWJMS course numbers to identify the electives you choose.
The Elective selections are available on the Web at: RWJMS Elective Book
2. You must follow our elective block rotation dates.
3. No visiting student may accumulate more than 16 weeks of electives.
2016 - 2017 Elective Blocks
ALL correspondence for Visiting Students is via EMAIL.
No phone calls will be accepted unless returning a call from the Registrar's Office.
Foreign Medical School Students and Non-Medical School Students:
While we do not accept International Students for our established Clerkships & Electives, our participation in the GHLO will provide access to other GHLO participant institutions through our Office of Global Health's "International Experiences" program.
These are typically a 4-week, structured rotation supervised by Global Health Faculty.
For additional information, we refer you to our Global Health Office where they can inform you about our current opportunities. Please contact Dr. Javier Escobar, Dean of Global Health, or Ms. Christina Rozario, Administrative Coordinator, Office of Global Health at: 732-235-6383 or by electronic mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to Top