Procedures for Processing Faculty
Faculty Appointment Process
I. Budget Approval (required only for salaried faculty)
- A Faculty Position/Change Request Form must be sent to the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs before a formal search or advertising is initiated. The form must include a job description and sources of all salary support - academic base, patient service, faculty practice.
- This form is distributed to the office(s) of Administration and Finance, Grants and Contracts, or Robert Wood Johnson University Medical Group (UMG), depending on the source(s) of salary support.
- Once budget approval has been obtained, the position is approved by the Dean and a Banner position number is assigned. Copies of the form are distributed by the Office of Faculty Affairs to the recruiting department and all budget offices involved.
- Recruitment of faculty member may begin once approval is obtained. The Banner position number is required for the Attachment "H" document.
- When the successful candidate has been identified, an Attachment "H" must be sent to the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs for sign off. The Office of Faculty Affairs forwards the "H" to the AA/EEO office. All job searches are defined by the AA/EEO Fair Employment Practice Guide.
II. Letter of Offer (required only for salaried faculty)
- A letter of offer must be sent by the chair to the chosen candidate after the following criteria have been met:
- The AA/EEO Office has approved the Attachment "H".
- The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs has reviewed and approved the Letter of Offer.
- Letters of intent may be sent prior to a formal letter of offer if the intent letter does not include a signature line for the candidate, and includes the following language: "If this proposal is agreeable, I will send you a formal letter of offer."
- Restrictive Covenant Agreement (required only for salaried clinical faculty)
- Restrictive Covenant Agreements are available through the administrative offices of the UMG. The most recent version of this document must accompany the letter of offer. Requests to waive or modify this requirement must be approved by the President of UMG.
- New clinical faculty hires can not be placed on the University payroll for any portion of their salary until a copy of the Restrictive Covenant signed by the proposed faculty member has been received in the Office of Faculty Affairs.
III. Background check forms
- All new faculty appointments (salaried and volunteer) undergo a comprehensive background screening program. The background check includes a social security trace, verification of employment, criminal record search, verification of education and professional licensure. The background checks are performed by a professional screening organization. There are two forms used for this purpose – the Faculty Disclosure and Authorization Form, and the UMDNJ Paid and Volunteer Faculty Personal Data Form.
- The Faculty Disclosure and Authorization Form is to be used for ALL faculty appointments; the first page of the Personal Data Form is be completed for ALL faculty appointments; the second page of the Personal Data Form is to be completed ONLY if the faculty member will be paid directly by UMDNJ.
- For volunteer faculty, the forms must accompany the appointment package submitted by the Chair to the Office of Faculty Affairs.
- For salaried faculty, the forms are sent by the Department directly to the Human Resources office.
- After completion of the departmental recruitment, review and approval process, the chair should submit a complete appointment proposal, which includes the original of the signed letter of offer, to the Office of Faculty Affairs.
- For full-title appointments:
- Appointments to the faculty at the rank of Instructor are approved by the Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Appointments at the rank of Assistant Professor and above on the non-tenure and coterminous tracks are reviewed by the Advisory Committee on Appointments and Promotions and approved by the Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Appointments at the rank of Assistant Professor and above on the tenure track are reviewed by the Advisory Committee on Appointments and Promotions and approved by the Dean and the Board of Trustees.
Appointments with Tenure are also reviewed by the Deans" Committee and approved by the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs prior to action by the Board of Trustees.
- For modified-title appointments:
- Appointments to the faculty at the ranks of Instructor and Assistant Professor are approved by the Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Appointments at the rank of Associate Professor and Professor are reviewed by the Advisory Committee on
- Appointments and Promotions and approved by the Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- The Office of Faculty Affairs will prepare a Faculty Transaction Form (FTF) for each appointment package. Once an appointment has been approved by the Dean the FTF is forwarded to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. After its return to the Office of Academic Affairs, a copy of the FTF is distributed to Human Resources (for all salaried appointments), the requesting department, and all budget offices involved.
- A letter of appointment (for all appointments - salaried and volunteer) is prepared by the Office of Faculty Affairs for the Dean"s signature. This letter indicates the academic title, the effective date, and the amount of the salary components for paid appointments. The original is sent to the candidate, and a copy is sent to the department. The candidate signs the letter of appointment and returns it to the Dean.